Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
CaribbeanGenWeb

Advanced

Siblings Jane WIMPENNY and brother Denes.

Posted by southwark1814 
Siblings Jane WIMPENNY and brother Denes.
November 13, 2006 10:03PM
Jane WIMPENNY was born abt 1817 in Grenada (St Thomas?), but married in Southwark, Surrey (now Greater London) in 1838 to George MARSLAND. Father Joseph Wimpenny (deceased by time of her marriage) possibly from Yorkshire. Also had a brother, Denes Wimpenny.No reference to him found in UK after 1841. Looking for any reference to Jane in Grenada pre-1838 (especially birth/baptism), or Denes at any date, especially after 1841. Also Joseph pre 1838, especially marriage. Snippets of family information from Jane's gt grandchildren (still living or only recently deceased) refer to Jane as 'my black granny', though photographs from 1880's and 1890's suggest merely darker complexion than average for UK. Also name Desiree mentioned. Assumption is that Janes's father Joseph married (or at least fathered a child by) a local girl in Grenada. Jane MARSLAND died in London in 1900.
Re: Siblings Jane WIMPENNY and brother Denes.
April 25, 2009 03:47AM
Hello,

I am also looking to follow any information you have on Jane Wimpenny as I am descended from her son George Wimpenny Marsland. Any information you could share would be great, I know that this post is 2 years old, but I am hopeful you will contact me.

erin8482@hotmail.com
May 06, 2009 04:24PM
Replying offlist
March 05, 2016 07:00AM
I have been researching a One Name Study on the surname Wimpenny and its different spellings for the past 40+ years. I have these siblings on my records. A recent find on Ancestry.co.uk was the name Joseph Wimpenny being listed in 1821 as the deceased owner of an African slave at St,Georges Grenada. I would love to be able to identify this person and establish the very possible paternal link to Jane and Denes. Has anyone any further data, please.
February 22, 2020 01:32AM
You could try https://www.ancestry.co.uk/boards/search/advanced?author=undefined&classification=ALL&keyword=Wimpenny&postedWithin=ANYTIME&subject=undefined&surname=undefined&useSoundex=true
September 28, 2020 11:14AM
I've only just logged in to this site after a break of some years. The Joseph WIMPENNY you refer to is the father of Jane WIMPENNY, born in Grenada, who married George MARSLAND in London in1838. George and Jane are the gt gt grandparents of my husband.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login