Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
CaribbeanGenWeb

Advanced

Customs for naming child

Posted by Laurie Oates 
Customs for naming child
September 26, 2001 04:54AM
Is anyone familiar with a Scottish custom of giving a child a middle name using that childs g.grandmother's maiden name? I was told many years ago by my Scottish grandmother that this was a tradition, but I am unsure if it was used nationally, or just by my grandmothers family. If this was a national custom, it would make searching family history a bit easier.
Re: Customs for naming child
September 30, 2001 09:17AM
My Mother's middle name was her grandmothers maiden name, and one of her brothers middle name was his [maternal]grandfathers surname, but whether this was common practise I do not know, as there were 9 surviving children and as these two were the 8/9 it would be a bit strange if they all had the same middle names??
October 23, 2001 08:02PM
was there ever a customer of useing the mothers maiden name as the child middle name-my father's middle name was MCINTYRE and I have been looking for that as his great grandmother's maiden name-he was the third with this name-the first archald mcintyre robertson came to us in 1880 at the age of 8 yr old with his parents(and siblings I beleave) each of the archald's only had one child a son till my sister and I. since all are dead and we have no records to go to-I need help.
born in Edinbough Scotland 1872 ARCHALD MCINTYRE ROBERTSON>
October 23, 2001 08:13PM
looking for archald mcintyre robertson came to us in 1880 at the age of 8 yr old with his parents(and siblings I beleave) each of the archald's only had one child a son till my sister and I. since all are dead and we have no records to go to-I need help.
born in Edinburgh Scotland 1872 ARCHALD MCINTYRE ROBERTSON>
March 08, 2002 11:14AM
Scots have a custom for naming children.
1st Son named after Father,
2nd Son named after Father-in-law.
3rd Son after Father.
1st Daur after Mom`s mother,
2nd after mother-in law
3rd after mother.
Yes giving maiden names is also commom
As in my Wife family Almost all children have surnames as middle names from other member of the family.Almost all boy are George,John few James and Roberts. The girls are all Margaret,Janet,Mary
So it help to know who`s who.
Mick
mick
March 11, 2002 02:11PM
Good morning Mick,
Thanks for answering this question!!! Hope the week is good to you and yours.
Best regards,
Karen
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login