Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
CaribbeanGenWeb

Advanced

Finding a place in Scotland

Posted by William Stratton 
Can Anyone please tell me how to find a place in Scotland where my grandmother came from or maybe it is spelled wrong and someone might know the right spelling. My grandmother's name was
Mary Jane Briton,Breton,Britton and was borh in the early 1880's in Roseanne Scotland according to my father's Canadian Service Records but as far as
I can tell there is no Roseane Scotland, I can remember her scottish accent and she married a Lewelland Frederick Stratton and in Toronto Ontario Canada she had her only son Stuart Frederick Stratton 05 January 1917 If anyone can help out it would be of great Value
Thank you William Frederick Stratton Nova Scotia Canada
Re: Finding a place in Scotland
February 13, 2002 07:08PM
do you know the nearest big towns it be just a little village i live in a little village called rosneath,
Re: Finding a place in Scotland
February 14, 2002 06:38AM
Good morning,
Here is a web address where you can find some links that pertain to Scotland.... http://www.geo.ed.ac.uk/home/scotland/genealogy
Once you go to this web page, you'll find a subtitle of "Scotland Maps, Regions & Places" where you'll see several links. Here is the e-addy for this page: http://www.geo.ed.ac.uk/home/scotland/maps.html
That's where I found the link to this e-addy:
Find An Address -- Address:
http://www.multimap.com/map/places.cgi?addr1=&addr2=&addr3=Roseane&pc=&client=europe&db=ap&width=700&height=400&lang=&cname=Great+Britain&SUBMIT=Find
I did a quick search for Roseane, Scotland, at this site and it came up with no direct reference to a place with that name, but did come up with 13 places with similar sounding names. Here's what the results were....
Rachun, Scottish Borders
Rackham, West Sussex
Rhos-y-mawn, Conway
Rhosmaen, Camarthenshire
Rhosson, Pembrokeshire
Ross-on-Wye, Herefordshrie
Rosskeen, Highland
Rough Common, Kent
Rougham, Norfolk
Rougham, Suffolk
Rousham, Oxfordshire
Rowsham, Buckinghamshire
Rushy Knowe, Northumberland
As I mentioned, there are other links to maps of Scotland at the above e-addy; so it might not hurt to give them a try. Sorry I couldn't help you more directly than that. Good luck in your research & happy hunting!!!
Karen
Now trying to find an IGI Batch Number for these places in Scotland to no avail.
My Grandmother Mary Jane (Elizabeth) Stratton nee Briton Born ABT 1880 somehow met and married my grandfather Lewelland Frederick Stratton born about the same time born Malta (British Regiment ? nationally Welsh) some how ended up in Toronto Ontario Canada where my Father Stuart Frederick Stratton was born
January 05 1917.
Does anybody have any idea as to where to go next?
I thank you from the bottom of my heart with a vision of a kind and loving little old lady who tried to raise us grandchildren with all her love that she could
Mary Jane Stratton nee Briton Died November 12 1951
William Frederick Stratton Dartmouth NS Canada
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login