Vanterpool
February 10, 2002 06:09AM
My grandfather was from Anegada and his name was Vanterpool. He left there and immigrated to San Pedro de Macoris in the Dominican Republic. I am fascinated to find this project and would very much like to hear from people with origins in Anegada. Is it true that only people with a blood relative from Anegada can buy land or property in Anegada? I hope to hear from you soon.
Re: Vanterpool
February 14, 2002 03:10PM
The majority of the land is held in trust for the descendants of residents thee as of a declaration by the Crown several generations ago. The titles to land have traditionally been held in a form called usufruct whereby property was borrowed from the community as a whole. It was almost like on an Indian reservation. The government has been trying to raise revenues by taxing land as fee simple and at one point tried to sell it. The Anegadans sued and won. The government has since instituted a tedious process whereby if land can be determined to have at one point been used by your ancestors you may file a plan of use to obtain it again. i suggested to my mother that she file to use our traditional area as a campsite.
Re: Vanterpool
April 16, 2002 12:14AM
I came across this board a few years ago and decided to take up my hobby again. I noticed the posting from the gentleman that said his grandfather went to San Pedro. A couple of years back I visited San Pedro and was able to visit alot of Anegadians. Who is or was your grandfather?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login